Saturday, July 3, 2010

Fourth of July

Happy Fourth of July!

What a privilege to enjoy freedom. I was reminded of that today so here's a little story for you. This morning we went to the 4th of July Parade in town. It had been raining all week so we weren't too sure if we would get rained out. As it turned out the weather was lovely - breezy, no hot Texas sun - great for sitting outside. But we live in a small town and small town parades, while lots of fun, can be a little cheesy. So this year didn't disappoint us. Some of the "floats" consisted of families gathered on trailers being pulled by trucks, others consisted of grown men and boys holding water hoses or other spraying devises used to pelt innocent bystanders and still others contained girls dressed up in pretty dresses waving like royalty.

But I must admit that by far my favorite part of the parade is always the tootsie rolls. I know it's pathetic, but this is how it works each July for me. I sit in my lawn chair watching this amazing display of patriotic creativity while children risk their lives as they run out into the street and collect the candy - the tootsie rolls get weeded out and promptly get handed over to me - I have quite a reputation so other people's children generously hand over their tootsie rolls to me too. It's a great set up. But I believe I reached a low point. There was a tootsie roll sitting alone in the street. How could such a nutritious, delicious snack get simply squished by oncoming traffic, I ask. So I did what any hero would do. I got up - I walked into the street, took the opportunity away from the small children and snatched the tootsie roll into my greedy little hand. I realize that's low, but unbelievable it got a little lower. The lowest point was taking place in my mind - I actually struggled with the thought of getting out of my comfy lounge chair and hauling my middle aged body into the street to "steal" the candy from the children. Too much work....In retrospect, I'm rather surprised I didn't order some small child to leave their candy retriving and run over to that tootsie roll, get it and make them give it to me! That would have been lower still. At least I had the "decency" to get up and steal the candy myself. I am probably the only candy thief in the states. O well, obviously I can't get bothered with those kind of details. One thing I'm incredibly thankful for is that the candy of the day usually ISN'T the tootsie roll. It's often some hard candy that I'm not enticed with, otherwise I'd look like a tootsie roll myself. But after that lovely time we left the parade and enjoyed some time at home - I made some peach jam, cleaned the house, had a nap and ended the day with a BBQ. It was a good old American holiday.

But I must get back to the privilege. While writing this I wondered what if the simple privilege of sitting on the side of the road watching a lame parade was taken from us? What if freedom of religion, freedom of expression and freedom of speech was taken away from us? Our little town in the south would certainly look different. So since we still have this freedom I'm thankful for the enjoyment it brings. Even the simple things need to be remembered as gifts from the Lord. He definitely gives beyond what we deserve. Have a wonderful weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment