Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The First Post

Well, this is my first ever post on my own blog which is actually hilarious because basically I'm completely computer challenged, electronically challenged, anything that plugs in or out challenged.....shall I say more? My husband might have a stroke if he sees that I started this whole blogging thing by myself while he was at work without even a phone call, a text, an e-mail or a 911 call. Actually, a moment ago while writing this at the kitchen table one of my daughters asked what I was doing and almost needed CPR to revive herself after I told her. Wow, this IS a big day!


But I need to get down to business. This week I ordered a new sewing machine and took my old serger to the repair shop. I realize you need some background to appreciate the complexity of that statement. To explain the relevance of what I just said, I need to explain a few things. When I was 19 and newly married I taught myself to sew. I had received a brand new sewing machine from my parents and off I went. I tried sewing boxer shorts for my endearing husband, clothes of all kinds for myself - which I rarely wore, a bathing suit - wouldn't recommend it, and home decorating items. Well, I eventually graduated to sewing myself a royal blue suit, which I did wear and even liked.

Time rolled on and we had two lovely baby girls. I continued my sewing projects but now I had two little people who were fashion impaired to display my creativity on. All kinds of items were mercilessly forced on these two little creatures - pantaloons, underskirts, overskirts, hats, bonnets, taffeta dresses, cotton dresses, "you name it dresses", until one day it happened.

It was a day much like today. Cloudy with a chance of showers and a hurricane brewing nearby. We were shopping for clothes and there they hung. Two blue velvet chemise style dresses with an attached necklace. I'm sure I saw a spotlight with "Price is Right" style ladies coaxing the next "bidder" to them because then it happened. My little blond angels revolted against all my love and care and said "We want THESE!". What? They didn't want ruffles anymore, no more fluffy skirts, no more prickly fabric, no more underskirts and no more overskirts . Instead they wanted a long shirt!! A plain old regular dress that you can basically sew in two minutes and it looks like it took you two minutes - no creativity, no mix and match fabrics, no mix and match patterns - NO FUN. So after quite a tussle arguing my case, I lost. Slowly, I trudged to the front of the store holding the victory dresses in my hand while the little victors marched behind me. And that ended sewing for me for 10 years.

But why in the world would I purchase a new sewing machine if my old one has been sitting around taking up space for 10 years, you may ask? This new leaf of mine started a month ago when the littlest traitor, now 10 years older showed me a picture of a skirt. Out of the blue and completely out of character, I suggested I could easily sew her the skirt myself, "just like that". Actually the words were accompanied with a snap of the fingers to punctuate my confidence. What just happened here? Had I forgotten the betrayal and the scorn? Obviously I had. But there's more to this. 10 years ago this little girl's fashion opinion started with the blue dresses but had definitely developed into a well tuned and oiled fashion guru. She didn't want just ANY skirt. She wanted a specific style of skirt and no pattern was able to be found. So now after 10 years of nothing - skills are gone, confidence is at an all time low, and desire is even lower, I'm supposed to be a designer and seamstress of a skirt that suits the style she has in mind, will fit her and one she will actually wear. To get all three will take a lot more than I had to offer. I was determined not to spend much money, so off to Wal-Mart we went. I found $1 a yard fabric - actually quite nice - you may question my judgment, but we purchased this "fine quality" fabric and off we went to start our adventure. Unfortunately a few attitudes had developed by now. There was ranting and complaining, arguing and grousing. That was from my end.....But we started the project and eventually we came to some topstiching. The "I don't owe you much" sewing machine was performing definitely under par, kind of like it's operator. The seams looked horrible, so the unfinished skirt sits in a closet waiting for the day when my new sewing machine will arrive. I'm actually looking forward to completing it and possibly starting another project which is quite amazing considering my 10 years of "baggage". Incidentally, through this whole affair, I pulled out my infamous serger. But that's a story for another day.

So that concludes my first ever blog post on my very own blog site.

1 comment:

  1. oooo fun! You've done well- very cute blog. Can't wait to read more fun stories!
    I love how saving money by sewing the skirt turns into a new sewing machine and a serger in the repair shop...

    ReplyDelete